11 April 2018

Excerpts: Adultery by Paulo Coelho

Photo Credit: Goodreads


There is nothing more important we can give than the Love reflected in our own lives.
That is the one universal language that allows us to speak Chinese or dialects of India.
When I was young I traveled a lot—it was part of every student's rite of passage. I visited countries both rich and poor. I did not usually speak the local language, but everywhere the silent eloquence of Love helped me make myself understood.

The message of Love is in the way I live my life, and not in my words or my deeds.

In the letter of the Corinthians, Paul tells us, in three short lines, that Love is made of many elements, like light. We learn at school that if we pick up a prism and allow a ray of light to pass through, that ray will divide into seven colors, those of rainbow.

Paul shows us the rainbow of Love just as prism reveals to us the rainbow of light.

And what are those elements? They are virtues we hear about every day and that we can practice in every moment.

Patience: Love is patient...
Kindness: ...and kind.
Generosity: Love does not envy...
Humility:... or boast; it is not arrogant...
Courtesy:... or rude.
Unselfishness: It does not insist on its own way.
Good temper: It is not irritable...or resentful.
Guilelessness: or resentful.
Sincerity: It does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.

All these gifts concern us, our daily lives, and today and tomorrow, not with Eternity.

The problem is that people tend to relate these traits to the Love of God, but how does God manifest itself? Through the Love of man.

To find Peace in heaven, we must find love on Earth. Without it, we are worthless.


No comments:

Post a Comment