08 December 2011

My Second Home



"Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7

I started to be a volunteer in He Cares Foundation last year when my Caring Group Head invited me to join them in the feeding program. Since some of my friends were already volunteers, I said yes to the invitation.

I can still remember my first Saturday experience as a volunteer.

We first went to NIA road to pick up the street kids. In the middle of the road is a place they called home. A place without a roof on their heads when it rains, no bed and pillow at night when they sleep, no dining table where they can eat their meals, no bathroom to bath themselves, and no food whenever they're starving.

They excitedly approached the service van. Most of them didn't have any slippers at all. The dirt in their bodies and clothes are noticeable. Their smell was also remarkable. I was wondering when they took their last bath. I was holding back my tears then when one of the kids approached me and said, "Ate, may damit po ba doon? (Are there clothes in the center?)"

We went back to the center, and they lined-up to take a bath. It was my first experience to bathe the kids. Until now I enjoy doing it.

I was also amazed how the food was served to 300 street kids. All the volunteers helped each other passing the food on the long tables. What we considered a normal meal, for the kids it's like there's a party.

He Cares Foundation has become a home for them every Saturday. And it's been my home too. They know Jesus; they sing songs of praises; they pray to God. Their happiness is very simple. They play, eat, and laugh. At the end of the feeding, they're ready to go back to their places carrying smiles on their faces, hope for another day and feeling that they are always cared for and loved.

In this place, I've learned how to be more thankful for all the blessings I received. Happiness is well-defined when you see other people happy even by sharing your time with them. I can feel God's embrace and love through them. I found new friends and a family. He Cares will always be my second home.




  My first Saturday at He Cares.
 Food preparation with  some French volunteers &
 Bro. Joe Dean Sola, founder of He Cares.(Oct. 16, 2010)


 program & activities


My first b-day celebration.
He Cares-Montalban Anniversary. (Nov. 13, 2010)



Outing @ Punta Fuego w/ the volunteers


My second b-day celebration. (Nov. 13, 2011)







No comments:

Post a Comment