20 March 2022

Uncaught Captive



Excerpted from Closer by Fr. Bob McConaghy

We pickup our cross daily and follow Him to learn to love unconditionally. Let’s be captive in God’s love, in a way Elizabeth Cheney wrote in a poem popularised by Archbishop Fulton Sheen:


 I slipped His fingers, I escaped His feet,

 I ran and hid, for Him I feared to meet.

 One day I passed Him, fettered on a Tree,

 He turned His Head, and looked, and beckoned me.


 Neither by speed, nor strength could He prevail.

 Each hand and foot was pinioned by a nail.

 He could not run or clasp me if He tried,

 But with His eye, He bade me reach His side.


 For pity's sake, thought I, I'll set you free.

 “Nay -- hold this cross,” He said, “and follow me.

 This yoke is easy, this burden light,

 Not hard or grievous if you wear it tight.”


So I did follow Him Who could not move,

An uncaught captive in the hands of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment