03 November 2011

...love is liberty


How will you know who your soulmate is?
This book is a moving tale of love, passion, mystery and spirituality.
Here's one of my favorite excerpts from the book Brida  by Paulo Coelho (p262-263).


The Magus held out his hand to Brida and gave her a flower.

'When we first met - although it seems to me that I've always known
you, because I can't remember the world before that - I showed you the
Dark Night. I wanted to see how you would face up to your own limitations.
I knew that you were my Soulmate, and that you would teach me everything
I needed to learn - that is why God divided man and woman.'

Brida touched the flower. It seemed to her that it was the first
flower she had seen in months. Spring had arrived.

'People give flowers as presents because flowers contain the
true meaning of Love. Anyone who tries to possess a flower will
have to watch its beauty fading. But if you simply look at a flower
in a field, you will keep it forever, because the flower is part of
the evening and the sunset and the smell of damp earth and the
clouds on the horizon.'

Brida was looking at the flower. The Magus took it from her
and returned it to the forest.

Brida’s eyes filled with tears. She was proud of her Soulmate.

'That is what the forest taught me. That you will never be
mine, and that is why I will never lose you.
You were my hope during
my days of loneliness, my anxiety during moments of doubt,
my certainty during moments of faith.

Knowing that my Soulmate would come one day, I devoted myself to learning
the Tradition of the Sun. Knowing that you existed was one of my reason
for continuing to live.'

'Then you came and, and I understood all of this. You came to free me from
the slavery I myself had created, to tell me that I was free to return
to the world and to the things of the world. I understood everything I
needed to know, and I love you more than all the woman I have ever
known, more than I loved the woman who, quite unwittingly, exiled
me to the forest. I will always remember now that love is liberty.
That was the lesson it took me so many years to learn. That is the
lesson that sent me into exile and now sets me free again.'

No comments:

Post a Comment